Saturday, September 8, 2012

Steve Rogers and Steve Trevor


Since I'm on a little hiatus while still ironing out my college schedule I thought I would make a brief blog about one of my favorite comic theories. The fact that Steve Trevor, WonderWoman's golden age love-interest was partly based on Steve Rogers, Captain America. The character of Steve Rogers first debuted in March 1941 while Steve Trevor's first appearance was in the December of 1941 so it's possible at least from a chronological point of view. It might be too obvious seeing how they're both named Steve and have two syllable last names both including the vowels 'e' and 'o'. There's also the fact that they look at least superficially similar:



 


But this is comics so generically blonde hair and blue eyes isn't totally unusual. Though they are both military, and both bust saboteurs which is an important part of Steve Trevor's origin and it's what Captain America did until he was sent overseas. My theory falls apart only in the fact that I can't say how close they're personalities are since I haven't read Golden Age interpretations of either of these characters. Still I feel there's enough circumstantial evidence to put this theory forward to the internet.

But the one thing about this theory that really makes me feel odd is that in Steve Trevor's first appearance he boards an enemy plane and crash lands on Paradise Island where he meets WonderWoman, and in the Silver Age Steve Rogers boards a plane or missile, depending on the incarnation, and ends up frozen. I'm not saying this was inspired by Steve Trevor by any stretch of the imagination beyond the fact that it's a bit retroactively brilliant if you buy into the theory that they might be connected. It also makes me desire a fanfic in which Steve Rogers instead of freezing, lands on Paradise Island and proceeds to team up with Wonder Woman to take down Nazis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment